Sunday 29 September 2013

Day Five: Math is all around us

Today, we were given an hour to visit the museums near our school as for our group task, we need to find an artwork which we can use to develop 3 math lessons for children. It has been a long time since I visited the museum, thus it was definitely an exciting and fufilling trip for me. We went to the National Museum of Singapore and the Peranakan Museum. There were many inspiring artwork that were put up in the museums. Besides looking for an artwork for our assignment, I also got to know the history of the Peranakans, as I have not been to the Peranakan Museum. It is definitely a worthwhile trip. 
So what math activities can you think of from this artwork? 
One of our favourite activity in class, Tangram! Not sure if I mentioned before. But I have to say that I was really bad at it. However after trying out again in class, I thought it's rather fun. As the challenge that I got from the activity really got me going as I want to figure out what are the possibilities to form a certain shape with the given number of pieces of shapes. So for this problem, we were asked to form squares instead of rectangles and we had to document down this time. This time after documenting, we had to find out the area of each square that we had drawn using the smallest square as the unit. Some squares were easier to find out but some we had to think of ways to calculate the area. Tangram is absolutely a fun activity which parents can play with their children at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment